The discharge is often requested by funeral directors and family members in order to receive veterans’ burial benefits, including headstones and a flag for the funeral service.

Given to those whose performance is satisfactory but may have issues, such as minor misconduct.

Service members are required to sign documents acknowledging potential prejudice which may be received in civilian life under this discharge which may exclude them from certain benefits, programs, disability benefits, etc.

If discharge or separation papers are lost, duplicate copies may be obtained by contacting the: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records 1 Archives Drive St Louis, MO 63132- 5100 You can also request records online via the National Archives.

Specify that a duplicate separation document or discharge is needed.

The veteran's full name should be printed or typed so that it can be read clearly, but the request must also contain the signature of the veteran or the signature of the next of kin, if the veteran is deceased.

Include branch of service, service number or Social Security number and exact or approximate dates and years of service.This page contains a list of DD214 collections in the possession of the State Archives.If you or your veteran was not discharged from service during these time periods, alternative resources include the County Recorder’s Office where the veteran lived, and the National Personnel Records Center in Saint Louis.The State Archives receives daily requests for discharge papers (DD214’s) from veterans and their family members.This record of service is an invaluable document for former military personnel as it can be used for proof of service when applying for a Veteran’s Administration Home Owners’ Loan or to receive medical benefits.Have you lost important military records and don't know how to replace them?